Beignets and chickory-flavored coffee... not
The cathedral bells woke me at 7 with a jolt (do they turn them off after midnight?). Swept the scattered array of leaflets and brochures into a heap and tossed clean and dirty clothes willy-nilly into the overnight bag: the sun was already rising high enough to shine into the Quarter's narrow lanes. I wanted to walk and photograph early morning in Tim's old haunts, and then explore further into the Katrina-damaged neighborhoods before heading along the Gulf Coast towards Mobile.
It was chilly and windy, if bright, and I resolved to buy a new pair of fingerless gloves the minute I got back to Blighty; standing, wind-buffeted, on the Artillery Platform was a refresher course in Real Winter (something we don't really have in southern California). Below, the first stirrings of the Quarter: bums gathering outside the Cathedral, workmen sweeping the few remnants of late-night partying into bins, an early mule-carriage jockeying for position with a street sweeping machine, the female driver standing imperiously on the driver's box shouting into a mobile phone.
The Cafe du Monde, the French Market's most famous coffee joint and fabricator of mind-blowing Beignets, was already busy; a busker trundled his luggage cart down the street to take up a position, armed with his trumpet and Bible, outside its door. I hurried on past the golden statue of Joan of Arc, towards Esplanade and Elysian Fields, in search of the pool-hall-cum-laundromat-plus-bar (still there), the Blue Nile (still there), and Until Waiting Fills (missing it appears, unless I had my directions wrong). Cafe Brazil was still there, opposite the Nile, and that was reassuring.
Thoroughly frozen and famished, I turned back to the French Market: Cafe du Monde was so mobbed I couldn't find a seat even outdoors under the space heaters, so slogged back to the other, rather rattier end of the Market, for a comfortingly hot stack of blueberry pancakes and mugs of hot tea, served with verve at the Barracks Street Cafe.
I cruised back to the Place d'Armes via Royal Street, grabbing a shot of Tim's old apartment through the gates before being squashed by crates of lettuce being delivered to the corner shop. With a (very few) minutes to spare before check-out time, I ran around the corner to the Cafe du Monde's shop (the queue for the cafe itself was now out the door), for a can of proper French roast coffee and a trinket or two. The young woman behind the register, a touch of Goth with a lilting Quarter accent, was tsk-tsking over the Times-Picayune's editorial on Bush's failure to mention Katrina in the State of the Union address.
Over a basket of pressed tin crosses and a stack of plastic key chains, we talked about the city's recovery and my husband's personal interest in same. When reassured I was driving, not walking, she gave me some directions: "You know Elysian Fields? Well, just go up a few blocks and then turn right down any street: it's all right there. You go along Claiborne, east, it's all around you. Keep going on Elysian up to Gentilly and turn left instead: same thing. Everywhere's the same mess..."
And so I thanked her for the coffee and directions, collected car and baggage from the hotel, and set out to see what happened to the city that Bush forgot.
It was chilly and windy, if bright, and I resolved to buy a new pair of fingerless gloves the minute I got back to Blighty; standing, wind-buffeted, on the Artillery Platform was a refresher course in Real Winter (something we don't really have in southern California). Below, the first stirrings of the Quarter: bums gathering outside the Cathedral, workmen sweeping the few remnants of late-night partying into bins, an early mule-carriage jockeying for position with a street sweeping machine, the female driver standing imperiously on the driver's box shouting into a mobile phone.
The Cafe du Monde, the French Market's most famous coffee joint and fabricator of mind-blowing Beignets, was already busy; a busker trundled his luggage cart down the street to take up a position, armed with his trumpet and Bible, outside its door. I hurried on past the golden statue of Joan of Arc, towards Esplanade and Elysian Fields, in search of the pool-hall-cum-laundromat-plus-bar (still there), the Blue Nile (still there), and Until Waiting Fills (missing it appears, unless I had my directions wrong). Cafe Brazil was still there, opposite the Nile, and that was reassuring.
Thoroughly frozen and famished, I turned back to the French Market: Cafe du Monde was so mobbed I couldn't find a seat even outdoors under the space heaters, so slogged back to the other, rather rattier end of the Market, for a comfortingly hot stack of blueberry pancakes and mugs of hot tea, served with verve at the Barracks Street Cafe.
I cruised back to the Place d'Armes via Royal Street, grabbing a shot of Tim's old apartment through the gates before being squashed by crates of lettuce being delivered to the corner shop. With a (very few) minutes to spare before check-out time, I ran around the corner to the Cafe du Monde's shop (the queue for the cafe itself was now out the door), for a can of proper French roast coffee and a trinket or two. The young woman behind the register, a touch of Goth with a lilting Quarter accent, was tsk-tsking over the Times-Picayune's editorial on Bush's failure to mention Katrina in the State of the Union address.
Over a basket of pressed tin crosses and a stack of plastic key chains, we talked about the city's recovery and my husband's personal interest in same. When reassured I was driving, not walking, she gave me some directions: "You know Elysian Fields? Well, just go up a few blocks and then turn right down any street: it's all right there. You go along Claiborne, east, it's all around you. Keep going on Elysian up to Gentilly and turn left instead: same thing. Everywhere's the same mess..."
And so I thanked her for the coffee and directions, collected car and baggage from the hotel, and set out to see what happened to the city that Bush forgot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home